Sunday, June 26, 2011

3 Pot Shelves

Finally!  Time to write my updates.  There've been a couple of finished projects lately--one of them being my final exam, and the other the 3-Pot Shelf.  I bought the shelf for $2 at a garage sale.  Then drilled 3-4" holes in the shelf for three terra cotta pots to fit in.  I painted the shelf a tropical blue.  Planted the flowers in the pots and hung it from the fence.  

That's the short sweet version.

The REAL version goes like this...
None of the tool-toting-guys I know had a 4" hole saw, so I had to buy one.  For the price, I'll have to find lots of other things to put 4" holes in.  Oh, but I still couldn't drill the holes because I didn't have the bit that it attaches to.  Another ridiculously priced item for how small and simple it is.  Oh, again, I still couldn't drill the hole because my drill's chuck is too small for the bit.  So is the neighbor's (Andy) "big" drill.  So he had to bring over the "crazy-big" drill, with the strength of a tow-truck.  Way to much power for this job, but it was either that or go buy a new drill.  Mark and Andy decide to tackle this job after a few beers.  At one point the power of the drill got away from them and the shelf shot out of their hands and halfway across the yard.  A few bruised limbs, and egos, but for the most part everyone was ok.  

I power washed it to prep it for painting (...and, because I love power washing, I also washed the kayak, table, bar, the cooler with the guys beer in it, the pool, the doghouse, etc.)  The guys surprised me and planted the flowers in the 3 pots.  Then I painted the shelf the next morning.





Remaining projects include:

  1. Dig out the heap of crap I call a compost pit and build compost barrels
  2. Build outdoor stairs from 4x4's to connect the upper and lower levels of my yard
  3. Install a patio made of pavers that I can get for free (also need free gravel and sand for the base)
  4. Install roll out shelves in two of my lower kitchen cabinets
  5. Cut 3-4" circles in a wood shelf and hang outside with pots of flowers. (must also paint)
  6. Build trellis for brother-in-law
  7. Sew chihuahua pillows
  8. Finish caulking bathroom (Uuugh)
  9. Install thresholds between floors
  10. Paint pictures (maybe with friends)
  11. Paint and build frame for a photo face-cut-out for my party July 30.
  12. Add floor and roof to the doghouse and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment